Outlook store s all its data in OST and PST files. They are the database file of the MS Outlook. OST files are created to when you want to work in Exchange account even when you are offline. These files are stored on your local PC and as soon as the connection Is established, these files get synchronized with Exchange Server mailbox account. Your offline works will be reflected on the server.
Why we need OST file
Offline folders are replicas of the folders found in your mailbox on the computer. OST file enables to take a folder from a server location, work with the contents of the folder when you are not connected to the internet, and when you connect back and update the folder and its corresponding server folder to make the contents of both folders identical. You can add, delete, and change items of an offline folder exactly in the same way that you can for a folder on the server.
OST file quite delicate- Offline folders are fragile and any simple issue can corrupt these files. And that makes this Outlook folder inaccessible for users at times. In Outlook version 2010 and prior to that, an inbuilt utility, Scan ost.exe was provided by Microsoft to repair OST. But this application was removed in later versions Outlook. This makes OST file quite exposed and irreversible to following symptoms.
Symptoms of a Corrupt OST –
- Improper Termination Of Outlook: When Outlook is terminated abnormally at the time of modifying contents of Outlook, sever corruption can be done to OST files which can make them inaccessible.
- Synchronization Error: Poor network connectivity at the time of synchronization of OST files with Exchange Server can corrupt OST files
- Other Issues: Apart from above-mentioned issues a number of other issues are responsible for the corruption of OST files. These issues include compatibility issues, virus attack etc.
How To Fix Corrupt OST File
Since OST repair tool i.e. Scanost.exe is not available with Outlook 2010, thus, it becomes a bit tricky to repair OST files. In order to overcome the issues related to OST files, the best technique is to use third-party software. A number of manual methods are available for repairing OST files and also for PST format. All of them do not work well; they cannot work if the OST files are corrupt. In such cases, it is always advisable to opt for some commercial solution for the conversion. Repair OST is awesome software to resolve all issues related to MS Outlook OST files and can recover .ost as well as .pst file. Some of the advanced features associated with the tool are:
- Repairs OST files and saves it into the different platform
- Can perform an advance scan to repair highly corrupt OST files
- Recovers permanently deleted items from OST files
- Maintains folder and structure hierarchy of OST files
- Option to manage PST files by splitting into smaller parts
- Allows users to apply desired naming signature
OST files created by Outlook are quite delicate and are prone to corruption. Once, an OST file gets corrupted, it becomes inaccessible. In order to repair OST files, the best technique is to convert them to PST format using some commercial tool. However, the users must select an appropriate tool for conversion considering its pros and cons.